Eligibility for weight-loss surgery
Weight-loss surgery is not the answer for everyone.
For some, changes in lifestyle can lead to the goal weight without the need to resort to surgery.
But for others, surgery is their best hope for a healthy life, free from the risk of weight related disease.
Am I eligible?
You are a candidate for weight loss surgery if you:
- Suffer from having 45 Kgs of weight over the ideal body weight for sex and height.
- Have BMI > 35 by itself or BMI > 30 with obesity related illness (such as, but not restricted to diabetes, sleep apnoea)
- Have had reasonable attempt to lose weight through diet/exercise but without success.
- Have other obesity related health problems
- Have the capacity to understand the risks and commitment associated with the surgery.
What diseases does obesity surgery help with?
- Bariatric surgery has been shown in rigorous research to improve or even resolve type 2 diabetes mellitus, hypertension, heart diseases, fertility problems and help reduce cancer risk.
I have heart disease; can I still have my weight loss surgery?
- Obesity can contribute to heart diseases, and therefore reducing obesity burden in patients can reduce the risk of heart diseases and reduce the risk of complications.
- You can still be considered for bariatric surgery if a rigorous pre-operative assessment by our anaesthetist and cardiologist deems you to be suitable.